Neal Harris is a jazz guitarist and composer who has been teaching improvisation and guitar for more than thirty-eight years. His studies with guitarists and composers (some of whom have worked with artists such as Miles Davis and Duke Ellington) along with Neal's own unique style and talent have culminated in his innovative method of teaching music and improvisation.
His teachers/colleges attended include:
- Berklee School of Music
- North Texas State University (Rich Matteson)
- Sonoma State University (Will Johnson)
- Jerry Hahn (Jerry Hahn Brotherhood, John Handy, Gary Burton)
- Barry Finnerty (Miles Davis, The Brecker Brothers, Hubert Laws, The Jazz Crusaders)
- Dave Creamer (Miles Davis)
- Davis Ramey
- Allaudin Mathieu (Duke Ellington, Mills College, The San Francisco Conservatory of Music)
Neal has played with:
- Bobby Freeman
- Pee Wee Ellis (James Brown, Van Morrison)
- Merle Saunders
- Jimmy Strassburg (Sly Stone, Gotham, Sawbuck)
- Crescent (Charlie Stevens, Mark Peabody, Kevin Dillon, Rob Suddith, Neal Harris)
- The Neal Harris Trio (some of the people involved over the years included Wilbur Krebs, Kevin Dillon, Tom Hayashi, Glen Cronchite, Steve Smith, Alan Hall)
- And many more!
Neal is the author of Foundations for Improvisation: A Guitarist's Guide to Improvisation, written and published in 1992. Neal continues to teach and perform jazz and original music in the San Francisco Bay Area.
Neal is also skilled in audio engineering, which he has been doing since around 1985. This includes engineering a Grammy-nominated record for Alex de Grassi in 1999 titled The Water Garden. Along with work on all levels of countless independent CDs and some feature film projects, he also has worked with Mobile Fidelity on classics remastered from the original mix tapes as SACD releases, including titles by Miles Davis, Blood, Sweat and Tears, Bob Dylan, The Kinks, Dead Can Dance, Bette Midler, and the CD American In Paris (Gershwin).
To take lessons with Neal, give him a call at (415) 524-2483 or (707) 795-9324. You can also send an email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Subscribe to our newsletter and always be the first to hear about what's happening.
Buy online, pick up in store.
Buy online, return to store.
Everyday low prices.
Free shipping on most orders over $100.